Measure up in opposition to these Antarctic birds
A mom feeds its child emperor penguin on the polar home of the Laohutan Ocean Park in Dalian, a coastal metropolis in northeast China’s Liaoning Province. (AP Picture/Xinhua, Li Tao)
Penguins are available all sizes and shapes. Some, just like the Emperor Penguin, can high 130 centimeters, or about 4 ft tall. Others, just like the appropriately named Little Penguin, develop to be simply 30 centimeters — shorter than 1 foot.
How do you measure up in opposition to these Antarctic birds? Use this exercise, from Little Scientists Australia, to check your personal peak to completely different breeds of penguins.
What you want:
1. Utilizing the record on the finish of this text, measure the heights of every penguin in opposition to a wall. Make certain there’s sufficient house so that you can ultimately stand in opposition to the wall.
2. Put a bit of tape to mark the place the highest of every penguin’s head would stand. Then write the breed on the tape.
3. Stand along with your heels in opposition to the wall and ask another person to measure you. Have a look — are you taller than any penguins? Are you shorter than some? Are some precisely your peak? Ask different individuals (or pets) in case you can measure them, too, to see how they evaluate to a penguin!
- Emperor penguins: 110 to 130 centimeters
- King penguins: 95 centimeters
- Gentoo penguin: 71 centimeters
- Chinstrap penguin: 76 centimeters
- Macaroni penguin: 71 centimeters
- Galapagos penguin: 59 to 53 centimeters
- Little penguin: 30 to 25 centimeters