So, you’ve simply adopted essentially the most lovable little hamster. To assist your new pal dwell his greatest life, he’ll want a big sufficient cage to burrow round in, wholesome meals to eat and, after all, a strategy to train in his cage. Enter the hamster wheel.
Operating on a wheel is important for preserving him in form — in case your hamster doesn’t get sufficient train, he can turn out to be obese (which might put a pressure on his coronary heart and lungs, and will shorten his life expectancy). And since hamsters are naturally curious, they like mentally stimulating toys. Exercising on his wheel can hold your hamster from being pressured and stressed.
“Hamsters can run for miles within the wild every night time, so actually get pleasure from wheels in captivity,” Dr. Hilary Jones, chief veterinary officer at DodoVet (and former hamster guardian!), advised The Dodo. “It’s not one thing they should be taught. Whereas a few of my hamsters had been a bit on the lazy facet, typically, hamsters will naturally take to a wheel and immediately begin operating.”
The very best hamster wheels can have a strong operating floor and are massive sufficient so your hamster can run safely with out bending his again (and since he’ll be utilizing it quite a bit, bonus factors if it doesn’t make noise whereas in use!).
We spoke to Dr. Jones for extra perception on the way to discover the perfect hamster wheels and equipment. Listed below are our prime picks:
What to search for in a hamster wheel
In the case of the perfect hamster wheel on your new BFF, there are some things to think about, in keeping with Dr. Jones:
- Floor — it needs to be strong (not wired) so your hamster can run safely
- Measurement — it needs to be massive sufficient on your hamster so he gained’t need to bend his again, or adjustable in measurement on your rising hamster (a minimal of 6 inches is really helpful for dwarf hamsters, whereas bigger hamsters, like Syrians, want between 8 and 12 inches)
- Noise stage — silent wheels are most popular (since your hamster will use it quite a bit, particularly at night time!)
- Materials — it’s private desire right here, as hamsters will run on something so long as it’s a strong floor
- Freestanding vs. connected — think about whether or not you’d like to have the ability to transfer the wheel round his cage or connect it to the facet of his habitat
- Closed vs. open design — some hamsters hug the wall after they run, so a closed wheel will be most popular
- Saucer vs. wheel — saucers can supply a flatter operating floor than a conventional upright wheel; nonetheless, they do take up extra space
The 6 greatest hamster wheels you should purchase
A hamster wheel isn’t only a toy on your little pal — it’s a necessary merchandise for his well being and psychological well-being. Whichever one you select, he’ll love exhibiting you ways he can run!
We independently decide all of the merchandise we advocate as a result of we love them and assume you’ll too. In the event you purchase a product from a hyperlink on our web site, we could earn a fee.